The couple, Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Chukwu, their three-year-old daughter, Nazareth and maid, Ukamaka Chukwu, died after eating the poisoned food at their residence at Umuchigbo, Iji-Nike in Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State, leaving their 9-month-old son, Chidiuto, as the only survivor.
Speaking when a delegation from Gov. Ugwuanyi paid a condolence visit to the extended family of the deceased, who are in custody of the child, the Commissioner for Gender Affairs and Social Development, Rt. Hon. Princess Peace Nnaji, who led the team, conveyed the heartfelt condolences of the governor to the family, describing the incident as a sad development.
The Commissioner stressed that Gov. Ugwuanyi “is really saddened by this ugly development”, adding that “that is why he has sent us to come and condole with the family”.
Princess Nnaji assured the extended family, headed by Mr. Basil Chukwu, that they are not alone in the moment of grief as the government of Enugu State “is going to do everything to make sure it unravels the cause of these deaths so that no other person will be a victim of maybe food poison or whatever”.
She said that the surviving baby is the child of the government and “the governor has given his word that even though these people are no more, the state government is not going to abandon the family (child)”